Day 360 - Last day of the world tour. Flight back home

Tuesday, July 2nd, 2019

What a night! I hardly slept and woke up at 5:50am. I rested in bed until 6:15 and then I got up. We got ready and I went downstairs to check on Daniel. For some reason, I got lost so I came back upstairs to ask Gregory for directions and their room number. I finally found their room and was able to check on my baby. I could tell that he wasn’t feeling great but at least he didn’t have temperature and hadn’t thrown up.

Sunshine and I brought their suitcases downstairs but of course, first we got lost, somehow we ended up on another floor. The whole hotel was weird, so we went upstairs to get Gregory and then, we finally made it to the first floor with the suitcases and then went by foot the last floor because the elevator didn’t go down all the way. That was the reason we got lost and ended in the garage! (Editor: I have no idea what she was trying to say there)

Anyway, while we were bringing down the suitcases, Gregory called a Grab Taxi that came very fast and they hadn’t even checked out the rooms so we could get our deposit. Finally, the lady at the front desk gave me back my $20 and we left to the airport. Traffic is not that bad in the morning and we made it in 15 minutes!

This time getting in the airport was easy, we didn’t have to wait in line and checking in the luggage was relatively fast, especially after Gregory finished the process of doing it online! We were done by 8:00am which meant that we had two hours to kill at the airport. We decided to go to the lounge, it was our last time, after all. We asked the lady if we could just leave Daniel sitting there because he was sick but she said that we couldn’t and we didn’t want to pay for him because he was not going to eat anything. The lady was cool and let Daniel in without paying. My membership was only for 3 people so we always had to pay for one.

We ate little because it was early but time flew especially because I had to do some corrections for the Encinitas flier for my Spanish classes. The plane left on time and the flight was very pleasant. We got our special vegetarian meal before everyone else and we watched a movie. The flight was only four hours. We landed in Tokyo and we were all excited to spend four hours in the lounge. Sunshine and I were looking forward to eating sushi and Daniel to the fast internet.

We went through customs very quickly and then we followed the signs for the connection flights. We stopped in a cool store to check the electronics and all the cute souvenirs they had of Totoro, Hello Kitty, My Melody, you name it. It was just super cool to see all the gadgets, books, comics and everything the stores displayed. The whole airport felt so different from the others that we had visited, and especially coming from Manila. Daniel even asked me to lower my voice. I told him that I wasn’t speaking loud, but I guess it did sound that way because even the airport is quiet.

We were lucky that one of us was paying attention and noticed the time. Sunshine said aloud the time and we realized that we only had one hour to be in the lounge. We thought we had a layover of four hours but I guess, no one checked on the time difference. We were still interested in checking the lounge but when we asked to find out its location, the polite lady told us that it was before passing customs, it was on the other side of where we were. By then we really only had 40 minutes so we walked slowly to our gate and had little time to relax in the comfortable chairs in the waiting area.

The flight from Tokyo to San Diego was long. Ten hours is not that long but for some reason, I wasn’t able to get much sleep on the plane. I watched two movies, had two meals, read and slept a little bit. We saw the sunrise from the plane and when the plane was in CA, Sunshine was jumping with excitement! We landed at 11:00am, picked up our luggage and then went through customs. I was a little nervous if we had to answer questions of why we were away for so long but the officer just said: coming back from vacations? Yes, we said. Nothing to declare, the officer asked. Gregory said some presents, t-shirts and, he didn’t finish when the officer was handing back our passports!

We waited for a little bit for Carol and David to come and pick us up. I was very tired and I just wanted to go home but it was my fault for telling Carol to come afterward just in case customs would take their time. It was so good to see Carol and David. When she hugged me, I cried a little bit. I was not expecting that! We all hugged and we were happy to be home. Carol had snacks and drinks for all of us in the car. We drove to Del Mar where spent the night.

When we arrived, Annabell, their dog, came running and started to cry. She was so excited to see us! It felt so weird to be back. Daniel said that our trip seemed like a dream and that it was a regular Sunday at Meme’s and Grandpapa’s house. We decided to stay with Carol (Gregory’s mom) because we didn’t have clean sheets, or beds or food to start the day and we were all tired.

Gregory didn’t want us to take a nap so we could adjust faster to the schedule but my eyes were closing and I went outside to take a nap. Daniel, who was supposed to wake me up, fell asleep as well. Sunshine had gone to Starbucks with her best friend Maija and Gregory worked on tax issues that needed immediate attention.

I have to confess that I wasn’t thrilled to be back home, maybe because it wasn’t my home yet. Sunshine was the happiest to be back. Daniel probably too except that his tummy wasn’t feeling well and he even declined ice cream. Gregory, already busy and taking care of tax papers.

I remembered that going back home is always tough. Today we were too tired to process but I know that as the days start to pass, the more unreal our adventure will look. Now my main concern is to find a good job with benefits so my children can be covered with health insurance.

I forgot to mention that the first thing we all noticed when we had our food, especially the fruit, we noticed that it tasted fake. Daniel had already some kind of reactions and had a swollen red eye. Ay, ay ay, welcome back home!

For pictures please click here
https://photos.app.goo.gl/9gGd2baafSbyQPki8

Comments

  1. Very interesting post! would like to see some more post similar to it.
    Bhutan Tour Package

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bạn biết đến vietnam motorcycle tours Loop Bike Tours hay chưa? Nếu chưa bạn có thể đến ngay hôm nay để được hưởng những ưu đãi bạn nhé

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey thanks for this amazing post. Would love to read more of such blogs. You can also have a look at mumbai to goa ship for more information.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What I Learned from This Trip

Day 134 - Edirne, Turkey