Day 329 -Last day in Chiang Mai - Visiting Wats (temples)

Saturday, June 1st, 2019

Today we decided to do a self-guided walking tour in the city. The bummer is that we left late in the morning (as usual, I don’t fight it anymore) and it started to get hot. After visiting two of the temples, we were hesitating about finishing the tour. Sunshine was upset because she wanted to go to the pool before it rained. Daniel didn’t want to see more temples. Gregory, I don’t know and me, I felt the need to cover the city before we left.

This is the hardest part for me when no one wants to do anything. I told the kids that we would cover most of the temples in the morning, go out for lunch and then have the afternoon free and that’s what we did.

I don’t remember the names of the temples, but each one is unique. They all have Buddhas statues inside but again, different architecture and different decorations. One of the temples had a huge Buddha statue outside.

We walked in the old town and we saw parts of the wall that were constructed for the protection of the city in the 1400s. The moat was lined with hundreds of trees, dividing the streets. Between two temples we found a small bridge covered with flowers to cross the moat. The old town is just beautiful. It has some newer buildings, a bunch of old temples, lots of restaurants and it feels like a fun city but not overwhelming. We liked it so much (Gregory, Daniel, and I) that we wanted to stay here longer but we really wanted to spoil Sunshine as well and that’s why we are doing the beaches in the south of Thailand.

Of course, we didn’t see all the temples in Chiang Mai because there are over 300! Chiang Mai is considered a pilgrimage city for people from all over Thailand. After lunch, we were so hot that we decided to go to the pool for the last time. Part of me wanted to stay in the room with AC but the other was taking advantage of the hotel. I did and I also enjoyed playing with the kiddos. I think this is the quality time that they will remember when we look back.

After we got out of the pool, it started to rain hard. We enjoyed the rest of the day in our cozy room. I was sad to leave this place. Again, I felt like I needed more days here but it is time to move on. We are getting up early to catch an 8:30 flight to Bangkok.



For pictures and videos please click here
https://photos.app.goo.gl/ukksATGJ5WWF9jRQ9

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What I Learned from This Trip

Day 360 - Last day of the world tour. Flight back home

Day 134 - Edirne, Turkey