Day 274- Second day visiting Pagodas

Sunday, April 7th, 2019.

Today we left around 9:30am to visit more Pagodas. It was already hot but we put sunscreen, thanaka, and wore long sleeve.
We first visited a Pagoda that had a river view. It was beautiful! We enjoyed seeing only locals and no tourists. Whole families with monks taking pictures in front of the Pagoda and the Buddha statues.

Our second stop was to visit another big Pagoda. Sunshine wasn't feeling that well so she waited outside for us while we saw the interior. This Pagoda was like a labyrinth and we kept going around and around until we finally came back to the entrance. We were tired so we decided to sit in the grassy area and rest for a little bit.

After that, the kids were done and ready to go back to the hotel but we decided to make one last stop to visit another Pagoda. I'm glad we did because it was empty and quiet. The kids stayed by the entrance but Gregory and I went inside and I immediately felt a cool breeze and peaceful energy. I walked around and peeked through the windows to see the trees. There was one artist by the entrance doing his sand artwork. I took some pictures but I didn't interrupt him. Later I asked him if he was selling them and he gave me a big smile with the few teeth he had left.

Gregory and I thought it was nice and original work so we bought two pieces of his art. When we finished, the vendor at the entrance tried to sell us some beautiful cups that he was making with eggshells. Those were original because we hadn't seen them anywhere.
On our way back home, we stopped for snacks in a small shop. I rode the bike feeling more confident than yesterday.

At the hotel, we cooled down, had our snacks and swam in the pool. Gregory and I rode our ebikes to town for dinner. The kids didn't want to go so we promised to bring them back dinner. Driving to town at night was another story. There were a lot of bikes out and I got nervous. I wanted to have dinner in the same restaurant but Gregory didn't. He suggested a restaurant that we had seen yesterday and of course, I said I remembered which obviously I didn't because we got separated and I got lost.

I was so upset of myself for losing Gregory out of my sight but I'm way more careful than he is and I drive more slowly. After a while, I decided to stop in front of a hotel and text Gregory. Well, guess what? I couldn't because I didn't have internet and Gregory turned off my data so I could not call him. Very frustrating. After I saw that the messages were not sent, I decided to drive back to Black Rose restaurant, where we had dinner last night, get their internet signal and contact Gregory.

On my way back, Gregory yelled my name and I stopped. There he was, in front of Black Rose restaurant. I wanted to cry and I told Gregory to stop looking for places on the bike and that we should walk. Let me point out that there is not much lighting, no street lights, and lots of bikes, some even without lights and everyone does whatever they want.

We walked and compared some prices and everything was more expensive than Black Rose but Gregory wanted to try something else and I have decided to choose my battles! We ended up eating in Taste of Bagan (Daniel's note: That actually wasn't the name of the restaurant, but I don't know the real name) which was ok and not as good as Black Rose. We ordered food to go for the kids and then we took our ebikes back home. Fortunately going back to our hotel was easy because we had to take back roads and they were almost empty. I also honked in every corner just to warn anyone that I was coming. Daniel said that I had picked that up from India!

Back at our hotel, the kiddos devoured their dinner and then we went back to our rooms. Another great day in Bagan!

For pictures please click here
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Lh6r3jh2JNhbyPhbA

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What I Learned from This Trip

Day 134 - Edirne, Turkey

Day 360 - Last day of the world tour. Flight back home