Day 272 - Kumudara Hotel in Bagan

Friday, April 5th, 2019.

Surprise! We made it to Bagan on time. We arrived at 6:30am and took a taxi (after some negotiation) to our hotel where we checked in and went to our rooms and back to sleep!

[Gregory's note: once again, my theory that taxi drivers rank right up there with lawyers held true: the taxi mafia here says, "Oh, your hotel very far away, very expensive! $20." I had done some research, and I knew the hotel was only 10km. I told them that and they had the nerve to say, no, no, no, it's 20km! I showed them Google Maps, but of course, they told me Google is wrong.

Anyway, I negotiated down to 12,000 kyats, around $7. Then, on the way out of the parking lot, we passed the sign that had the prices clearly written: New Bagan, 8,500 kyats. I told the driver to stop. He didn't want to, but he did. I pointed to the sign. He just shrugged so I pulled the bags out of the trunk. Miraculously Lili didn't yell or complain. She and the kids stood quietly while I walked over to the next taxi mafia to ask who would take us for the official price. The drivers swore up and down that the official price was only for 2 people in a taxi. I put my phone on video and started recording them. They covered their faces and tried to grab my phone away.
Finally, a driver pulled up and said he would take us. On the way, he explained that the official price was 9-5 only, or some BS like that. Anything to steal your money, these taxi drivers. No wonder they all hate Uber!]

We decided to spend our first day in Bagan relaxing in our hotel which is beautiful. After breakfast, we went back to our rooms to read, write, and do some homework. I took a second nap.

The kids and I swam in the pool while we admired some of the pagodas. Gregory went to explore the town and to withdraw money to pay for the hotel. I think it's crazy that they don't take credit cards but it is a lot like in Africa! After our showers, around 7:00, we walked to the Black Rose restaurant for dinner that Gregory had scouted earlier.
Tomorrow we are going to wake up early, rent electric scooters and see the Pagodas before the furious heat of the day!

For pictures please click here
https://photos.app.goo.gl/L8KYqvvjDrwsPUJU9

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What I Learned from This Trip

Day 360 - Last day of the world tour. Flight back home

Day 134 - Edirne, Turkey