Day 251 - Jagdish Temple and Boat Ride in Lake Pichola from Dudh Talai

Friday, March 15th, 2016.

Today we actually visited the inside of the Jagdish Temple. The kids didn't want to do it, but it was a major attraction in Udaipur, we just had to do it.
Plus, I explained to them that you really get to learn more about the people and traditions of a place when you visit its temples.

Sure enough, when we got there, there was a big group of people praying, I think. It seemed more like they were chatting. Before going to the temple, we bought some flowers for the gods. After climbing the stairs, you have to take off your shoes which I honestly think is disgusting and I was bummed that I had not brought my socks, but I really wanted to see the inside.

When we were watching, a woman was passing out some kind of food to everyone. I extended my arms and she gave some brown sticky ball. It was sugar with something else. The lady gave me a big smile and told me to eat it. After I ate it, Daniel said to my ear "mom, we are doing everything we are not supposed to do." Oh, well, I thought to myself, it is part of this rich experience. I wasn't going to say no to this humble lady who was offering me God's sweets!

Afterward, we took a tuk-tuk to DudhTalai so we could take the boat ride in Lake Pichola. The kids were not that excited, but Gregory and I were. The lake was beautiful and it would be something fun to do. Well, the ride only lasted 20 minutes. It was pleasant and quick. Right after that, we sat on the benches to rest and to take pictures with some local girls who loved having pictures taken with us.

I wanted to stay there longer, just watching people (which I can do for hours) but my family was ready to go. We gave some money to a musician who was playing an old fashion instrument, I don't know what it was, I need to research it.
We took a tuk-tuk to go back to our castle. It is so funny to take a falling apart tuk tuk in the super narrow, busy and filthy streets to go up the hill to reach our apartment in a castle that is falling apart (ok I'm exaggerating) and really old. I think I would have preferred a nicer modern hotel but I'm glad my family chose this so we could experience India with the locals because the castle is surrounded by many local businesses and homes!


For pictures please click here
https://photos.app.goo.gl/snj7J8eLhR9shrJG8

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What I Learned from This Trip

Day 360 - Last day of the world tour. Flight back home

Day 134 - Edirne, Turkey