Day 247 - Rafting in the ganges river. Rishikesh

Monday, March 11th, 2019.

I can't believe I agreed to go rafting with my family. I was very anxious at first, but once we were in the water, it wasn't bad at all. It was actually fun. It was actually more dangerous getting there. A driver took us to the top of a mountain and drove like a maniac, honking and using the opposite lane to pass. Anyway, we made it and it was fun. We shared the raft with some Indians that were living in South Africa, which was lucky for us because they translated the instructions into English for us.  That's right, I heard all the instructions from the guides in Hindi or incomprehensible broken English!

After we dried off, we had lunch in a nice restaurant. By nice, I mean it wasn't street food. Sunshine thought it was a fancy restaurant, my poor sweet child if she thought that was fancy, but her comment gives you an idea of the kind of places we have been eating in India. I know we were advised against eating street food, but we only eat cooked and fried food and so far it has been amazing and no one has gotten sick (knock on wood).

After lunch, we crossed the famous bridge to go to the other side of the city and went directly to the tailor who had my clothes ready. They fit perfectly and I was happy with Gregory's determination to get me well-made dresses!
By then, we were all tired and ready to go back home... except for Gregory of course. He wanted to go explore another town but we all voted against it. We stopped at a small shop for chai and some take away for dinner, it was cheaper than what we could order at home. We crossed the bridge again and our tuk-tuk driver was waiting for us.

On our way back home, a heard of cows were blocking the small bridge we had to cross to get to our apartment. Everyone was honking behind us until they finally moved out of the way.
We also saw all the poor houses, more like huts made of straw and plastic. I know we see them every day, but it still shocks me how poor people live in India.

For pictures please click here
https://photos.app.goo.gl/tAk477VqW3kpSubo9

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What I Learned from This Trip

Day 360 - Last day of the world tour. Flight back home

Day 134 - Edirne, Turkey