Day 244- Ramjhula Bridge - finding a tailor -Aarti, fire ceremony

Friday, March 8th, 2019.

We hired Aquiles again to take us to Ramjhula Bridge. When we got there I was overwhelmed to see how many beautiful clothing stores there were. I loved everything, Indian fabrics are definitely my style. We went shopping and even though I wanted to buy everything, I didn't because we were on a mission to find a tailor that could make my outfits.

We also found by chance the tour office Jumpin Heights, which was the office our host recommended for the zip line. We spent some time there trying to figure out what we wanted to do. After a while, we told them that we would come back, but that we were currently on a mission. We crossed the famous bridge on foot. It was super crazy because it was not only for pedestrians but also for honking motorcycles and cows.

The tiny town is cute, it has a temple right after you cross the bridge and many stores to buy crafts, clothing, bags, and food. We also stopped for a sim card and then we went looking for the tailor. We were also informed that we might be out of luck because the tailor's brother was getting married. We finally found the place and the tailor wasn't there. When I explained to his son who was working the shop how important it was for me to get those outfits done and how far we were staying, he called his father, who agreed to meet us at his home which was on the other side of the bridge, where we had just come from!

We had a delicious lunch before crossing the bridge. Then we had to take a tuk-tuk that wanted to overcharge us to take us only a few kilometers away. I was beginning to think that getting the fabric was a mistake but Gregory was determined to find the tailor. We met with him outside of a school. He came on his motorcycle and he said that he couldn't take the four of us to his house on his motorcycle so he just measured me right there! Only in India. He measured with detail and asked a lot of questions. I'm sure he is going to do an amazing job. He told me to pay when he was done and he left on his motorcycle.

We took the tuk-tuk back and then we crossed the river by boat. It was super fun seeing all the devotees praying and throwing petals in the water! When we got to the other side, a cow welcomed us! It is hilarious to see the cows just wandering around everywhere like they were people shopping.
We had a chai and waited for the night because we wanted the kids to see the fire ceremony on the river. Well, it wasn't as religious and impressive as the one that Gregory and I witnessed yesterday. It was more like a Bollywood production, there were a stage and a tv where you could see dancers and they explained a story of some kind of God. Everything was in Hindi even if there was a lot of westerners at the event.

The show was super long. I could tell that Daniel and Sunshine were done. I was done too, but we waited for the end. People started to put their offerings in the river but I didn't hear the prayer, or the bell or people singing like last night. It was a little bit disappointing. We even met some people from Mexico who said the same. We found our driver on the other side of the river and went back home. It was a tough ride back home. Cold wind, tons of honking and it was hard to get around. We were so happy to arrive to our peaceful place. I'm thrilled that I get to stay home tomorrow with Daniel.


For pictures please click here
https://photos.app.goo.gl/uBEzaqb1JdqbUBdU9

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What I Learned from This Trip

Day 360 - Last day of the world tour. Flight back home

Day 134 - Edirne, Turkey