Day 186 - Luxor Museum

Saturday, January 5th, 2019

I’m finally sleeping well and it is making a huge difference in my health and the way I feel. We woke up late, had breakfast, and then planned our day. Nobody wanted to do anything except my mom. She is so easy going and said she could just go downstairs and look at the 2 or 3 stores of clothes and souvenirs near our home. I offered to take her to the Luxor museum and she got excited. I kind of wanted to be lazy and stay home but I also wanted to enjoy my mom.

I’m glad we chose to go to the museum because it was the best day ever!
Around noon, my mom, Ali, and I headed to the dock to catch a boat. First, they had to stop at the store and look at some dresses that they have seen every day. This time, my mom tried it on and said to the girl that she would buy the dress if they fix it and of course they said: “no problem.” which seems to be the favorite phrase of all Egyptians.

I rushed them and then walked to get a boat. It was nice and easy to get a private boat for 50 EGP which is only 2.50. Of course, Gregory would have gotten the boat for 15 EGP but it was cheap enough and it was nice to have our private boat called Omar Sherif.

The captain was so nice and he told us that he would pick us up. [Gregory's note: well of course he wants to double his money!] We agreed to a 2:30 pickup. 


We were lucky we got to the museum at 12:30 because they closed at 2:00. The museum is small compared to the one in Cairo but this is one is much nicer and the displays and explanations are much better. I really enjoyed reading about the statues, the sarcophagi and leaned new things about their warrior lives. My mom and Ali finished before I did and waited (surprise!) in the souvenir shop. Some of the guards offered explanations and told me that I looked Egyptian! I have been getting this since the beginning of the trip. I have been Spanish, Italian, Turkish, Jordanian and now Egyptian! [Gregory's note: yeah, they say I look Egyptian, too, which tells you something about why they're saying it.]

Afterward, we went looking for a place to eat but there was nothing to be seen. We found a hotel and my mom wanted to go there. Oddly enough, it was a Mercure Hotel, like the one she had stayed at in Cairo. They welcomed us and walked us to the restaurant outside near the pool. I was happy to eat in a clean place and not in the local dirty places that we have been eating for a while! [Gregory's note: if you're Egyptian, she doesn't mean dirty, she just means she likes a restaurant where they have carpets and tablecloths and she can order foreign food.] 
It was Italian but who cares. We had soup and pizza by the pool. Very pleasant and calm. I realized that I truly needed a day off from my husband family and have a nice meal in a nice restaurant.

We felt bad for our boat captain who was no longer waiting for us. It was almost 4:00 by then so we took another boat back to our apartment. I was surprised that I didn’t even have to negotiate with the captain and he offered to take us for less. I told him, I would give him 50 if he took us to the deck with stairs so my mom could get off easily. During the ride, he played some music and his son or friend started to dance in the boat and then asked us to dance with him. We made it to the other side with a big smile. 


What a pleasant day I had without worrying about what to eat, where to eat and mostly worrying about money. My mom treated us completely and I sure hope that one day I will be able to spoil my kids like that. Worrying constantly about our finances takes away a lot of the fun out of the trip.

We stopped at the store to pick up my mom's dress and her Diet Cokes. We made it home and what’s the first thing I hear from Sunshine? “I’m hungry.” I wanted to scream and in fact I did get mad because they didn’t go out for lunch. They ate whatever they found in the refrigerator which it wasn’t much since we had eaten almost all the food. Anyway, I promised not to get mad, warmed up some chicken nuggets (that they didn’t even bother to check we had in the freezer) and finished the rest of my happy day.


To see pictures please click here
https://photos.app.goo.gl/oegPx2PXa5vHxoMr5

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What I Learned from This Trip

Day 360 - Last day of the world tour. Flight back home

Day 134 - Edirne, Turkey