Day 169 - Downtown Amman

Wednesday, December 19th, 2018.

Today we slept in! We were all tired from all the walking we did in Petra. We had a late breakfast, hung out around the house, and did a little homework and laundry. Did I mention that we don’t have a drying rack? I was excited when I booked the apartment because it had a washing machine, and you can imagine how dusty and dirty our clothes were after being out in the desert. I asked the host for a drying rack, and he said he didn’t have one. He said that I could bring the clothes to a laundry for cheap. Of course, we were not going to do that so I brought out the clothesline that we bought for this very reason. I hung the line between two patio chairs even if it was hanging very close to the floor. We take for granted what we have at home, a dryer here is a luxury.

We had a small lunch and then took a taxi to see the downtown area and the Roman Amphitheater. Sunshine stayed home because she wasn’t feeling well. Downtown was vibrant and full of life. It reminded me a bit of the market in Aqaba, where many people were walking up and down the street buying goods. Thank God for Gregory who had done his research before we got there because we were looking for a place that sells a local specialty that we had to try. It took us some time to find it but then, hidden in an alley where a lot of people were lining up, there was the place! We tried the most delicious dessert ever! It is called kunafa, and it was kind of like warm baklava with mozzarella cheese. It was delicious. Afterward, we had coffee in a small place and then we walked to the Roman amphitheater. It was very impressive. Inside the amphitheater, there were two small folklore museums that we visited. The good thing was that we didn’t have to pay an entrance fee because it was included in the Jordan Pass that we had already purchased. Luckily, I was still carrying the passes in my purse.

After that, we looked for a market to get milk for tomorrow and cookies for the kiddos. We took an Uber home to catch up on the blog and cook dinner. Gregory went out to a Rotary meeting. Sunshine and I watched Love Actually -- I forgot there were some inappropriate scenes, but I just told her to close her eyes. I love my children -- not to brag, but they are very good kids! 


Gregory came back around 11:00pm with two invitations for tomorrow! We have been invited to a family’s home for lunch, they have children the same age as our kids, so it will be a good family experience. And at night, a Christmas party for Gregory and me! Yeah, our first one in this busy season. I can’t believe that we are five days away from Christmas and I avoided all the stress and craziness that comes with this time of the year. I honestly think the presents and the letters make it stressful. We are spending Christmas in Egypt, where I will probably cook a nice meal at our home.



Little well, outside our apartment building.

Our apartment building in Amman

We took Uber downtown. Going across a cool bridge.

Beautiful dresses





The first post office in Amman

A delicious dessert called kunafa!










Museum of folklore

Creepy


Really creepy

Gregory was hoping this one was a tequila vendor.

After visiting the museum we went to see another small Roman theater, the Odeon.

The Roman Odeon






















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What I Learned from This Trip

Day 134 - Edirne, Turkey

Day 360 - Last day of the world tour. Flight back home